Thanksgiving is fast approaching, and the flavors of roasted turkey, creamy mashed potatoes, and tangy cranberry sauce are about to take over our lives for a few days. In preparation for Thanksgiving, I like to step off the continent and travel to flavours from around the world so that I am ready to delve into the meat and potatoes come Thanksgiving. Dreamfields Pasta has asked me to create a Middle Eastern style recipe. So, I put together a basket full of specific ingredients and came up with this noodle salad.
In my Middle Eastern basket is a tin of Harissa, some chick peas, garlic, chutney, chicken, peanut butter, carrots and lemons.
This recipe is a play on a typically Asian cold noodle salad with a peanut sauce. Instead of a classic peanut sauce it has a chickpea “dressing” that coats the pasta. The peanut butter replaces tahini that you would find in a classic Middle Eastern Hummus. The Major Grey’s chutney provides a little sweetness, the lemons give the salad some brightness and the harissa provides the heat.
HARISSA HUMMUS NOODLE SALAD WITH CHICKEN AND CHUTNEY
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes
- 1/2 box Dreamfields Spaghetti
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Major Grey’s chutney (see notes)
- 1 rotisserie chicken breast, skin removed, shredded (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 to 2 tablespoons harissa
- Lemon slices (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Place pasta in large bowl; set aside.
- Place chickpeas, water, half of lemon juice, the olive oil, peanut butter, garlic and salt, as desired in blender or food processor container. Process until blended completely. Slowly add additional water, up to one tablespoon, if thinner consistency is desired; set aside.
- Place chutney and remaining lemon juice in small microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH, checking at 30 second intervals, just until chutney mixture begins to soften. Uncover and stir. Pour over shredded chicken; stir to combine.
- Add chickpea mixture to pasta; toss to coat well. Add chicken and carrots; toss to combine well. Add harissa to pasta; toss until harissa is well mixed into pasta. Sprinkle with the lemon zest. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Note: Grilled, pan-fried or roasted boneless skinless chicken breast can be substituted.
For a vegan/vegetarian option, replace the chicken with fried or grilled tofu.
Other chutney can be substituted. Adjust harissa to taste, depending on heat level of the chutney.
Nutrition information (1/4 of recipe): 390 calories; 23 g protein; 57 g carbohydrates; 9 g total fat; 1 g saturated fat; 40 mg cholesterol; 370 mg sodium; 9 g total dietary fiber.