As my kids begin to read Shakespeare, I quietly admit that I used to gather with some friends in high school over lunch and read Shakespeare together in the quad. We always had fun with the plays and the words. We were flirting teens and lovers of language. I’m glad to see that my kids can appreciate his words too. NB: I have been invited to Press Night at Hamnet for review.
I feel pretty confident in my Shakespeare knowledge. I haven’t read all his plays but I have read and seen a good number. Then, in comes an email about a play called Hamnet. Less about a play, and perhaps more about a son named Hamnet. Is this for real? Did they misspell Hamlet? Did Shakespeare really have a son? I have to do some quick research to see if this Hamnet is fact or fiction. I guess when I learned about Stratford and the bard, I didn’t really learn too much about his real life world. I didn’t know about his children. It is in part for this reason that I can’t wait to go check out Hamnet at ArtsEmerson performed by Irish & English performance group, Dead Center.
A single letter separates Hamnet from the philosophical heights of Hamlet. Unlike the Prince, he cannot ask ‘to be or not to be’. Condemned not to be, he now seeks to understand the world from which he has been wrested. – Dead Center
As a parent of teens in these somewhat ridiculous times, it is helpful to gain perspective. We are so caught up in our own heads that I look forward to spending time in the mind of an 11 year old child and learning more about Shakespeare as well.
Hamnet is performed at the Emerson Paramount Center, Robert J. Orchard Stage.
- Thursday, September 20, 2018 7:30pm
- Friday, September 21, 2018 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 22, 2018 8:00pm
- Sunday, September 23, 2018 2:00pm
- Tuesday, September 25, 2018 7:30pm
- Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:30pm
- Friday, September 28, 2018 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 29, 2018 8:00pm
- Sunday, September 30, 2018 2:00pm
- Wednesday, October 3, 2018 7:30pm
- Thursday, October 4, 2018 7:30pm
- Saturday, October 6, 2018 8:00pm
- Sunday, October 7, 2018 2:00pm