Summertime is watermelon juice dripping down to your elbows, s’mores over the fire pit, popsicles and ice cream sandwiches. These days you can find dairy free ice cream for those who don’t eat dairy and Pamela’s makes delicious gluten free graham crackers for gluten-free treats anyone will enjoy.
To make these ice cream s’more bars you just need.
- a foil pan
- ice cream, vanilla or any flavour you like
- hot fudge sauce in a jar
- a box of Pamela’s Gluten Free Graham Crackers
- marshmallows or marshmallow fluff
- Magic Shell: coconut oil & chocolate chips
- Remove the ice cream from the frezer so it can soften quite a bit.
- Line the foil pan with a layer of tin foil that hangs over both sides to make the bars easier to remove.
- Cover the foil layer in the foil pan with a layer of Pamela’s gluten free graham crackers.
- Cover the graham crackers with a layer of marshmallows or marshmallow fluff. Broil the marshmallow layer in the oven or toaster oven but watch it like a hawk so nothing burns.
- Spread a layer of ice cream over the toasted marshmallows. Quickly spread the graham cracker with cold hot fudge straight from the jar. If you are doing a full 9×13 pan, put the pan in the freezer while you spread the fudge.
- Put the graham crackers over the ice cream layer fudge side down, and put the tray back in the freezer for at least an hour until frozen solid.
- While the tray freezes, prepare the magic shell.
- Take the tray out of the freezer and carefully push the giant gluten free ice cream s’more onto a cutting board.
- Cut the block into slices or cubes, Arrange them on a baking rack over parchment on a sheet pan. Working quickly, spoon the magic shell over each bar and let it set.
- (Optional) Put the whole tray back in the freezer to let the shell set 15-20 minutes. Flip the bars over and coat the second side with magic shell.
- If you want sprinkles sprinkle them on now.
- Put the entire tray back in the freezer until frozen solid 20 mins or so.
- You can them individually wrap the bars in parchment or stack them on a tray for serving.
- You can also put the individual bars into a freezer safe bag and enjoy them all summer.
When the grocery delivery isn’t quite as perfect, your plan for s’mores for two can become ice cream s’mores bars for a crowd. These are some sturdy graham crackers, especially for gluten-free, but sometimes deliveries go wrong and you make it work.
The Pamela’s gluten free graham crackers are a nice thickness and they don’t crumble when you bite into them. This means that if you enjoy a soft cookie, like in a classic ice cream sandwich, you can leave the graham crackers with the ice cream layer a little longer. If you like them with a little more crunch, put a good layer of fudge between the cookie and the ice cream and eat them as soon as they are assembled and set.
Pamela’s makes honey graham crackers which have the sweetness and earthiness of honey. If you want more of a Mexican chocolate taste, then use Pamela’s cinnamon graham crackers.
What makes these extra special is that last layer, which is the magic shell that coats the whole thing. Making your own magic shell is easy. I like this recipe on the Kitchn. You can also get fancy with the magic shell and add sprinkles or candies to decorate them, just make sure they are also gluten-free.